The RenSMART Solar PV Estimation Process
1. Energy Arriving from the Sun
- Given your location, we look up the average amount of solar energy arriving from the PVGIS solar atlas. You can take a look at it here
- We then calculate the distribution of this energy over an average year. This distribution is taken from the NASA POWER projects database of world renewable energy resources You can take a look at it
2. Conversion to Electrical Energy
- We use an average efficiency rating for solar panel energy conversion of 14%. Panels are available for sale in the uk with efficiency of between 6% and 18%
- We have a list of most panel models and their specifications available here. You can set a different efficiency value by pressing the Show Advanced Fields button under the Solar PV tab
- We multiply the available roof area by the solar energy arriving and the efficiency
- We then apply factors to calculate the effect of roof pitch, roof orientation and shading
- Finally we apply a reduction factor to allow for inverter and cable losses that occur when the solar panels direct current is converted into an alternating current suitable for use in a property or for exporting to the grid.
- We calculate this value for each month of the year.
3. Calculating Guide Price
- We have analysed a number of solar pv installation quotes provided and developed a price calculation that you can review here. This is the calculation we use to give a guide price based on the peak output of the chosen panels.
3. Estimated Financial Projection
- Using the locations energy use and the chosen energy use profile, we match the solar pv installations output with the energy used.
- Any energy that is not used on site, we mark as exported.
- We display this under the Energy Projection tab
- Using the given import(buy) tariff, and export(sell) tariff and the clean energy cashback feed-in tariff for a system of the chosen size, we calculate an estimated value for each year.
If you have any further questions about this process please get in contact with us at firstname.lastname@example.org